Wednesday 17 February 2010

Hair Cutting Lessons - Home Ec 102!


Rebekah wanted to add hair cutting skills to her 'Home Ec' qualifications. Here I am teaching her using Jacob as my model. We saved Christian for Rebekah to experiment on. We figured if Christian's hair came out bad...we could just buzz it!
The first step is to cut an "outline" by cutting across the forehead in a straight line, across the back in a straight line and then in an earshape around the ear down to the back. Last, we cut a small straight line for the sideburns and then cut a curve line from the bangs to the sideburns.



On a Sunday morning, I use the "outline" method to give the boys a quick trim. But if you trim too many times, your child may end up looking like a "Beetle". Christian's hair was definitely at the Beetle stage!Rebekah trims the base line of Christian's hair before feathering/layering.


Here she is cutting the back of the hair about 1/2 to and inch in a straight line following the curve of the back of the head. If you cut straight lines from the left side of the head all the way around to the right, you can always see the line you just cut and can make sure your next vertical layer is the same length which makes a smoother cut.



My sister, who taught me how to do this, said to imagine an egg shape laying on it's side with the wide end being the back of the head. The hair near the crown should be the longest hair. It should taper in length down to about a 1/4" near the base of the head. I cut vertical rows across the back of the head first...about 1/2 inch down to 1/4". Then I do the sides starting at about 1/2 inch at the top down to 1/4" at the base. I save the top of the head for last. I start at the bangs (which are already the length you want due to 'outlining' and then cut horizontal lines from front to back matching the bang length.   Check back next week for a video!!
New haircuts for Jacob and Christian!

PS. I'm sure you all know why I was cutting their hair outside. It's not just because of the mess cut hair makes. Birds use it to build there nests! Talk about natural recycling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin