Wednesday 23 March 2011

Nature’s Surprises

moth

Nature has such a funny way of pulling a ‘fast one’ on us don’t you think? I love seeing moths who are the masters of disguise. I’ve taken photos of this kind before, but Christian got an absolutely stunning shot of a moth this week. 

leaves in the sidewalk

In fact, I think he was really in stellar form this week. Some of his photos were really striking—I thought.  Teenagers can get in some positions that we older moms just don’t even think to try. :o) 

He once stood atop a fence post just to take a shot from straight down. That I simply cannot do. Ha! I assume he took this one while lying on the ground. What do you think?  I love the texture of these leaves! And the perspective. I love leaves period. :o)

moth from back

Frankly nature photography, like all good photography, really requires a dash of ‘thinking outside of the box’. Young people seem to do this naturally. 

 ant carries bloom2

And sometimes it just requires getting down on ‘nature’s level’ which includes eye level. This can be challenging while taking photos of a leaf cutter ant. How I wish they didn’t love my redbud tree quite so much!

percy bothered percy surprised 

Apparently, Percy was also taken surprise by something..but it wasn’t by nature..it was a toddler..i.e. Nikolai, my grandson. The pets have taken to hiding in the oddest places..as have some of my oldest teenagers. Rebekah said, “I didn’t realize that children could be quite so loud.” Ha-If she only knew! Once upon a time..SHE was that child. LoL!

cardinal
drinking cardinal cardinal looking cardinal takes bath 

I apologize for the lack of quality of the photos here..done by me, but it’s not easy to get a good shot of a cardinal deciding on whether or not he wants to take a bath in public, without a little blur. I used a tripod and it still wasn’t quite enough. I was just too far away. But it is fun to watch this little guy gradually decide to ‘get in’ the pond. Perhaps the water was chilly. Who knows?

yellow flowering clover

I love these photos of tiny flowers Christian found blooming in the grass.
Beauty shows up in the most surprising places! 

purple wildflower  weeds flowering


Our part of Texas is famous for wildflowers. Already, the sides of the roads are covered even in the few days since these photos were taken.

Our white bushes in bloom

And the white bushes are in full bloom…next week, you’ll see the green bushes covered in pink and white flowers. They’ve bloomed since I took this photo.  

Inchworm

Colin, my oldest grandson,  found the tiniest inchworm at the park yesterday. He was fascinated!

sunset

Christian went looking for geckos but couldn’t find any. I went looking and found one, but couldn’t get him in a photo in time before he disappeared. Christian took this photo instead. I loved it!  

Nature is always full of surprises!

Linking with Tracie’s Cottage Flora Thursday

signature

  ********************************************

Today at our house….Bathtime in Grandma’s special hooded bath towel!

Bathtime in Grandma's bath towel Bathtime Colin DSC06173


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin