Wednesday 16 March 2011

Mixed Media and Altered Art Projects...From The Artistic Mother Book

 by me!!

 My good friend, Shona Cole, author of The Artistic Mother, has been encouraging moms everywhere to take a little time to work some art into their schedule. 




Her book helps you step by step to do what she does..or at least attempt it LOL!  I've had the book but was a little afraid to try this form of art. I'm just a chicken..really.



Well, last night..I took her advice and used a couple of hours that would otherwise have been spent watching a movie...to do Week 1's assignment..set up your 'artsy' spot with supplies, music, favorite drink etc..whatever would get you in the mood to create.



Amazingly we had most of what we needed on hand. Thanks Mom for Christian's art easel! I'm afraid he never got into the idea of painting. So I had the supplies..but didn't know how to paint any better than my son. I was just a little bit intimidated by the idea of 'paint'. 



Our first assignment after getting the supplies together and making your work space, was to gesso some papers...colored card stock, junkmail ads, and white paper to prepare it for background papers.

So we did that and then I started using one of her techniques to paint the background colors. The goal was to use some of them for a To Do List or whatever kind of list you needed to make to work art into your life.
I gessoed this to 'tone it down' as Shona had suggested in her book. 
(Actually, we didn't have gesso so I used white flat paint primer from the garage..LoL!


My first attempt, I thought was pretty bad. Too much paint..and too dark.  And I smudged the ink from the printer on the title.



The second one came out a little better. I liked it a lot. It would have helped if we had had stamps instead of having to use paint brushes and calligraphy ink..and stencils. They are a little tricky to use without smearing!



Rebekah happened to be walking by and saw my supplies all set out and said, "Ohh!! Can I make one too?" Of course! :o) She made a gorgeous 'wall hanging' for a friend. She did a lot better right from the start.  She leans towards cleaner lines and lighter colors.


I have to say that I'm so glad we are taking this 'leap of faith' into the world of art however uncertain I may be at my abilities. So many possibilities seem open to me with this kind of art. though!  Gift tags, stationary,bookmarks, cards, journals...are all perfect things to make using these techniques. 


Well..today we are cleaning and getting ready for Rebekah's friend who will be joining us for Spring Break. But last night..we had a little creative time..and it was refreshing!  


Have you ever wanted to learn to do a few new artsy things? Think you can't learn? Well, you need to consider buying Shona's book. If she can help me get started...I think she could help anyone. 

She explains every project whether it be art papers, poetry, photography, journal, tote bag etc..very well. There are 12 projects in all and tons of information on how to develop creativity. I can't wait to do more!

PS. Matthew called last night and all is well. :o) Thanks for all your prayers for him. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin