Saturday 27 November 2010

A View of the Countryside…



from my kitchen window..


As I was diligently cleaning the other day, I was amazed, yet again, at the beautiful view, just outside my windows.  Sometimes I still have to pinch myself to believe that we really live out here in the countryside. In fact, we live right inside the border of the Sam Houston National Forest.  If you are new to Comin’ Home, then you may not know that we are ‘transplanted urbanites’ as I like to call us. We’ve lived in the city all of our lives.

Dining room window
from the dining room window..

In our efforts to ‘save’ a teenager from the influences of ‘friends’ (public school football team) who seemed to think that the way to be ‘in’ was to be willing to be thrown in a dumpster amongst other things..Ha!ha!ha! (Somehow I didn’t find it all that funny.), we decided to leave Sugar Land and find a place that was quieter and maybe a bit more ‘sane’.  We wanted a place where you could fish, hike, dig big holes in the yard etc. and no one would care.

 From entry way
from the sewing room…

We dreamed of a place where the brand name of your tennis shoes, or your income didn’t decide your value or worth; a place where you could appreciate nature and self-reliance, at least to some degree.  We ended up here. It was the saving of our 16 yr. old and our 14 yr old..and probably our daughter and the younger two boys as well.  Instead of the mall, we have the great outdoors. It was a trade well worth the making. So what if we have to spend a lot in gas toting children to various activities?

Living Room window
to the right..from the living room window..

All of our spare time is spent romping in the grass, swinging on the porch, walking in the woods, making bonfires, hunting squirrels and rabbits, chatting over cups of hot cocoa and coffee and hiking along dirt roads in the beautiful countryside.

Livingroom window left
and to the left…

As a side benefit, one of my first thoughts after getting settled, once I understood what blogging really was, was to share the day to day beauty of our new home (now three years old) with those of you who can’t get away that often.

 out my kitchen window

So today, I’m again sharing the beauties of a home we never expected to find..though we dreamed of it so often over the last 23 years.  It was an answer to a prayer I’d hidden my heart since I was a little girl. And the answer is something I never want to keep to myself.  I hope you enjoy this little tour. It’s all for you… :o)

Happy Homemaking…
 signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin