Tuesday 15 February 2011

One Misty, Moisty Morning...




This is the first line to my husband’s favorite childhood poem. It popped into my head immediately on awakening this morning to discover the whole world enveloped in a cozy blanket of white mist.

One misty, moisty, morning, 
When cloudy was the weather,
I came upon an old man
Clad all in leather;
Clad all in leather,
With a strap under his chin,
With a "How do you do, and how do you do,
And how do you do again?


Taken from Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes 

Front pasture in the fog
Tim would often quote this poem to the kids when the fog rolled in..which it does in Houston every spring.

Around the bend

This morning, I couldn’t help but think of that line. It was probably the thickest fog I’d ever seen! I let Jacob, the 18 yr.old, drive to his college class today, while I road ‘shotgun’…and all I could do was be amazed at how beautiful the forest looked as we were driving up  and down the winding hills.
 Blue sky on a Foggy Day

Of course, being ‘mom’ I regularly mentioned that we shouldn’t drive any faster than we could safely ‘see’. I don’t think he was worried one bit!

Dawn in the Mist
The forest along our drive…all blanketed in fog was just so exquisitely beautiful, that  I kept reminding myself that when I got home, I was going to have to take photos for Thursday. It was 6:40am when we headed out and I really was afraid that the fog would all burn off before I could get some pictures.
 Mist in the treetops

Thank goodness..I still had plenty of time.  Funny, as the sun rose higher and higher, the colors of the ‘fog’ seemed to change. It was the oddest thing ever!
  Misty Morning

I don’t know what it is about mist and fog, but the animals and birds in the woods seemed very loud…
echoing across the fields. It was surreal…and capitvating!


Side pasture in the fog

For sure, I knew you all would enjoy seeing the lovely way the fog and mist changed the look of the surrounding trees and fields.
It made the whole landscape look like a ‘work of art’.

Front Pasture in sunrise
 
We had a very warm day today, which explains why we had the fog.

tropical pond in winter

The cold temperatures have all dissipated at our house. What about you? Still buried in snow?

Our home 
Like the radio announcer mentioned today, it’s so nice to have our ‘Houston winter weather’ back!
I do hope you have a lovely day!


PS. Tracie at Fishtail Cottage is hosting her Flora Thursday party early and I wanted to join her..so I'm posting early.

 
I'm also trying out a new linky party by A Southern Daydreamer called Outdoor Wednesday. How fun!

And I'm linking up with my favorite..My Romantic Home's Show and Tell Friday!

An AND...It's almost time for the OWOH Giveaway!  If you haven't left a comment yet to enter..please do!  Just click here.  The drawing will be at 12:01am tomorrow night and I'll announce the winner on Thursday morning. (So I needed to get this posted early.)

You still have a little more time to enter! Win a quilted tote bag!

Linking up with Deb's Fantastic Friday! Party


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin