Sunday 8 August 2010

Ottoman to make with "leather" Part One


I am going to make this project a 4 part project. I have trouble with pictures dropping out.

For the feet you see I have used Classics newel posts #CLA 70200. I really like these newel posts and you also see that I have used the top part all ready and saved the rest. I didn't know what I was going to use them for, but knew I would use them.
By cutting the posts the way I did I got feet for the ottoman. The foot is 5/16" tall.



I make a hole with a "T" pin first so my drill has a place to start.

















I use my trusty toothpicks for dowels, I use wood glue to glue the toothpicks into the drilled holes.














For those of you without saws a wooden bead can be used just as well. The holes in the beads are bigger than toothpicks, you can use 1/8" dowels or wooden skewers from the grocery store. We get our supplies from anywhere. sometimes you can get the beads all ready stained. You can stain the feet now.







Keep your pencil sharp and keep a damp rag handy to wipe glue from your fingers.
Make a pattern for the ottoman from card board.

1 5/8 inch by 2 1/8 inch. This measurement in not carved in granite, you can change it to suit your needs.









The base of the ottoman is 3 layers of foam core plus 1 layer mat board. You can cut these separately with an exacto knife, then glue them together.

The foam core is the 3/16" kind, and it's available pretty much everywhere. The mat board is 1/16" thick, you can glue something up to equal this and use it instead.
You can use tacky glue to glue all this up.






Use the pattern again to make the cushion, It's 1 layer of foam core and 1 layer mat board.













Trace the pattern again onto card stock and cut out. Use glue stick to glue fabric to the card stock, leaving about a 1/4" all around.

End of Part One!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin