Thursday 5 August 2010

How I Make Lasanga for Hubby and for Company

Our family absolutely loves my version of lasagna from the Better Homes and Gardens cook book. For hubby's birthday, I made this--after we got back from our weekend away, of course. :o)

We almost can't stand to eat lasagna anywhere else because we love our version so much. It's the perfect recipe for company because it tastes fabulous and can serve a lot of people. And you can always make it ahead and freeze it to take on the road if you need to.

The Rodgers' Favorite Lasagna Recipe

Step 1: Start Sauce:

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1/2c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced ( I use powdered.)
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes  (it calls for 14oz can but we like having extra sauce available)
1 14 oz can tomato sauce (It calls for 8oz. and you add water but we like the flavor from more sauce.
1 6-ounce can paste
1 Tablespoon crushed dried basil (Or more if you like!) I'm very generous with the basil. The recipe only calls for 2 tsp.
1 tsp. salt

Cook meat, onion, and garlic till meat is browned. Drain off fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes and all the above ingredients. Cover; simmer 15 minutes, stirring often.


Step 2: Cook lasagna noodles while sauce is simmering.
Ingredients: 1/2 box lasagna noodles (8 pieces), 1 Tb. cooking oil

Cook noodles until tender in boiling salted water with cooking oil added to water. Drain; rinse noodles. (I hang them over the side of the strainer pan or boiling pan so they don't stick together before I can use them. I noticed that Rina lays out her noodles on foil or wax paper. That would work too, but I think my way is quicker and saves foil. Ha!




 Step 3: While sauce is simmering and water is boiling, make cottage cheese mixture.

Ingredients:

2 eggs
2 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese (24oz large container)
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 T. dried parsley flakes (Don't ask me why..I can never taste the parsley!)
Beat eggs; add cottage cheese, parmeson, parsley 1 t. salt, and 1/2 t. pepper. Stir together and set aside.
Step 4: Slice 1 pound of mozzarella into thin rectangles. Set aside.


Step 5: Layer half of the noodles in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish; spread with half of the cottage cheese filing. Top with half of the mozzarella rectangles. And then spread on half the Lasagna sauce. Repeat one more time.



Step 6: Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese all over the top of the casserole. You can cook it right away by baking in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.  Or you can assemble early and refrigerate; Bake 45 minutes or till hot.



CRITICAL LAST STEP!! Let STAND for TEN minutes!! 
Or you will make my famous "Lasagna Soup" which is what Tim and I jokingly dubbed my first attempt at lasagna over 23 years ago.  Otherwise it won't have picture perfect layers. It will look like this instead. Or worse. Ha!

Happy Homemaking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin