Sunday 20 June 2010

Frugal Snack Ideas and How to Make Your Own Microwave Popcorn!



 
Hi Ladies…How would you like to save a ton of money and still make healthy and easy snacks?  
For starters…how about a great frugal drink…like Sun Tea or Homemade Lemonade?  My secret sister blessed me with a box of Lipton and a gorgeous Sun Tea Jar. (Giant pickle jars work great too.)  I’m assuming you all know how to make sun tea…but if you haven’t tried homemade lemonade you are in for a treat.  I’m not talking about using lemons either because that’s not convenient. I mean just buy a big bottle of lemon juice and sugar or stevia.  My family goes through tons of this, so I buy the double giant bottle pack of Real Lemon juice at Sam’s. 
  Lemonade
OK..here’s the recipe…1 Cup Lemon Juice and 1 Cup Sugar plus enough water to fill a 2 qt. pitcher.  That’s it. Please try this!! You will be amazed! 

I do five gallons at a time for a big get together in our cooler. Every kid I’ve ever known was amazed at how wonderful it tasted. Get rid of that powdered stuff..yuck!!!  It costs too much and doesn’t taste even a fraction as good. And when you make your own..you control how much sugar goes in too.!

Frozen Lemonade in 2 Qt. Juice Bottles for Ice Cold Lemonade on the Road! And to save more money, pour your lemonade in a 2qt juice bottle and freeze it! Take it with you on the road and in no time at all, it will be defrosting. By the time you get to your first stop..and the kids are getting hot and thirsty…the ice cold lemonade will be ready for them. (Take some cups along of course!) We keep several bottles in our mini deep freezer. It’s way better than sodas and cheaper…and  it’s more appealing than water sometimes.


I discovered this two years ago but don’t have time to take my own photos…and why bother? This  video shows exactly how to do it! To read more click here. Hoopajoo did a great job..so I’ll let her show you what I do.   We stocked up on the paper bags and cheap real popcorn last year..and still have plenty left. The kids thought this was super fun to do. :o)

Christian, Levi, and Rebecca have a snack
  

And of course..don’t forget the watermelon! One big watermelon goes a long way! My kids live on it during the summer!  We spent such a fun week with our friends, The Robisons, in Galveston and the kids sure did enjoy their watermelon. It’s a healthy snack that really helps beat the heat!

Happy Homemaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin