Thursday 1 October 2009

Nativity Costumes.....Cutting Cloth






My fun project today is to cut all of this into the proper yardage and arrange it into packets for wonderful seamstresses at our church to sew into costumes for our church's Live Nativity which Kristy Bailey is organzing.

I had to use a spreadsheet to figure out how much yardage and of what types of cloth and trims would be needed to make an adult and teen size costume for nine different characters.  Kristy wondered why we needed a spreadsheet..but when we started trying to pull out cloth from my stash and cut it into head covers, sashes, and belts...she understood!  I finally decided to use butcher paper to make copies of all the pieces x 9 so that everyone could have the pattern pieces needed.
 
I'll post my efforts later, since Rebekah has my camera at Mock Trial in Brenham today.  Kristy Bailey bought most of the linen and it's all at her house since she wanted to get started right away. She is the one coordinating this huge project.  She has such a heart for outreach in her community!  I'm glad she asked me to help.

I kind of 'guessed' at what was needed of the upholstry fabric since it was so much wider than what the pattern uses for yardage requirements.  I may have to finagle a little to get sleeves for the kings coats out of it.  We are going to use the red side of the fabric above with the little gold balls for two of the kings and then the inside which is bright yellow with red circles for the other set. At $7.00/ a yard, it was too good of a price to resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin